Our School's History
Ms. Mae M. Walters came to Miami, Florida, in 1925 from her home state of Maryland. Ms. Walters became Principal of the West Hialeah Elementary School in 1952, having previously served in the Miami-Dade County Public School System since 1939. After her death in 1955, the PTA petitioned to have the school renamed for her. The petition was granted and West Hialeah Elementary School became known as Mae M. Walters Elementary School in honor of her memory.
Mae M. Walters Elementary School is a part of the North Regional Center of Miami-Dade County Public Schools. It has a student population of 819 students from Pre-K to Fifth Grade.